Thursday, June 12, 2014

Biarittz

Today was quite the day. We started off by waking up at 4am to get ready to head off to the train station located in downtown Paris. The trains here are on strike so only every one in three trains is available. Unfortunately our train to Bordeaux had been affected so it was a mad house, literally running with suitcases to just get on a train. Picture it, the entire city of Paris commenting through approximately ten trains... It was crazy. Luckily, we were able to find seats for all 47 of us scattered throughout the train. I was able to sit with three of my friends at a table in the back of a car. It was a lot of fun. We ordered cappuccinos and probably looked like the dumbest Americans possible, the way we were attempting to speak franglais ( a terrible combination of English and French) . Needless to say, we had several stares, but who really cares when you're having fun. Our train ended in Bordeaux where we had an hour and half to wait for our coach to pick us up for Biarittz. My friends and I found a cute cafe near the station and say down for lunch/dessert. I ordered tiramisu and a diet coke... All in French! ( je voudrais un tiramisu avec un coca cola light sil vous plait) after our quick little lunch, it was onto the bus and off to Biarittz. I wasn't quite sure what to expect between north and southern France, but honestly, after spending the day here in Biarittz I may have enjoyed it even more so than Paris. Biarritz is very close to Spain so there is a combination of three main languages spoken here, French, Spanish, and a combination of the two. It can be very confusing. The city is very old but has so much charm. It sits right on the Atlantic Ocean and has the best beach for surfing in all of France. We were given two hours to do as we pleased so we chose to walk along the beach and do a little bit of shopping as well. I made my first "special" or personal purchase today. I bought a dress at a store along the Main Street in Biarritz. The style will be a good reminder of the city and it's charm. I've had many good meals here in France, but tonight had to of been my favorite. I'm not exactly sure what it was called, but it was similar to a quiche. The desert on the other hand, always pleases. Tomorrow we head off to Spain for the day, where we will again tour the city and be able to swim and hangout along the beach. That, I am looking forward to!

1 comment:

  1. I love waking up early to read about your adventures!! I'm so thankful you are having wonderful weather and able to have this experience! Everything looks so beautiful and picturesque! Have another awesome day!

    ReplyDelete